Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) is located on the first floor of Newman Library near the cafe. We are currently open by-appointment only, Monday-Thursday from 10am-4pm (subject to staff availability). Please note: We are only open to researchers who are using Special Collections and University Archives materials and we cannot provide seats for general library use.
- Appointments to visit SCUA must be booked at least one (1) week prior to your visit to allow our staff planning time to provide access to materials.
- When you select a time for your visit, the default is for one (1) hour. You can extend the time by selecting a different ending time from the dropdown box (between the available seats and the "submit time" button).
- When booking, you will be asked for a list of specific materials you wish to view (we recognize that you may need to see additional materials on-site and will be accommodating as possible during your visit).
- If you do not know what you wish to see, we will connect you with a staff member who can consult online, via email, or over the phone to help identify materials in advance of your arrival.
- If you are bringing an additional person or people, we ask that each person make their own reservation OR that one person make a reservation for each person (please note you are making multple reservations in the "is there anything you want us to know about your visit" field). This helps us plan, since we have limited seating in the reading room.
- You should receive a confirmation email of your appointment or a follow up email for additional information, usually with 24-48 hours of booking. If you do not, you may contact Special Collections and University Archives at email@example.com or at 540-231-6308 to verify.
- If you are planning an extended trip or require accommodations outside of our normal by-appointment hours, contact Special Collections and University Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 540-231-6308, and we will try to work with you, based on staff availability.
Additional information about our “by appointment” policies and what to expect on your visit are available online.